Monday, October 28, 2013

Ukulele, Me-kulele


To offer patients a variety of options to experience music in a healthcare setting, the one who offers must have OPTIONS. When I shadowed two Artist-In-Residence professionals at Shands Hospital last summer, I noted that when they sang unaccompanied patients were less interested in the song. When they accompanied themselves with another instrument, there was greater interest. That being said, I wanted to look at other instruments to add to what I could offer as a musician in the hospital/healthcare setting. Therefore, I decided it was time to learn to play the Ukulele.
 
Having played the guitar as a younger person, the fretted instrument was not new to me; however, the tiny fretted instrument, tuned in its own fashion, was new. It will take some time just to get to know what might be played on it. Just as with the guitar, I can twist the tuning pegs to tune as directed, or tune it in other ways. The third string on this instrument is a little dull no matter what I do with it.

As I listen to the combination of notes, I realize that it takes a certain amount of strength to get a clean sound and clear pitch. I have increased appreciation for those that play this instrument. The sound of the Ukulele is soft and muted. It seems just right for the healthcare setting. The instrument has a playful quality as well due to the sound of the strings when it is plucked.  Because of its size, I can cradle it and make a really nice friend out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment