Sunday, October 13, 2013

Setting the Stage For Incubation


A large project this week will be assimilating and organizing the experiences I have had in the Creative Practice portion of a course I am taking. Graham Wallas describes one stage of creativity as being incubation. Therefore, I took off out of town for an excursion to give myself that incubation time. It was time when I was surrounded by new places, faces, and thoughts. It allowed for refreshment. It created a place or space in my mind for creative juices to begin flowing naturally on their own, not forced. Creativity must come of its own volition; and there must be time and space.

While in Chattanooga, I did write two poems in response to some of my activities.






Chattanooga Visit
A little drink, a little food . . .
Compliments and laughter,
Delight in seeing old friends,
But why the curious hedging?

Tales of children, stories of work,
Loss of parents and more,
But for visits in the future?
All with sincerity pledging!

 


 

Patriotism or Ambition
On Lookout Mountain
They brought the guns
While Longstreet held the left flank.
The enemy advancing,
Though three miles away,
Was on the other bank.

When they tried some cannons
The power was wet,
Other men ran from the shiver.
The blasts were mighty,
They looked for results,
But balls never cleared the river!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment