Monday, May 12, 2014

Humming One



For this creation I am sampled the vibrational effects of the larynx. I have a brief video of humming in my lowest register. The interval hummed is of going back and forth between two pitches one whole step apart. I actually spent 20 minutes humming. I spent time humming in my lowest vocal region, and then took it up an octave. The object of the event was to notice what my body felt and what my mind thought during the time. 


My breathing slowed and regulated. My mind, though active, was at peace. When I changed octaves, my breathing had to adjust to the needed increase in pressure. My body seemed more in a state of alertness. I stayed in the low octave for five minutes, then went to the upper octave for 10 minutes, and then back to the low octave for five minutes. The most impressive sensation I had was that my larynx became sore humming in the low part of my voice. It was much more natural for me to hum in the middle register.

One other thing I noticed was that due to the thickness of the vocal folds in the lower part of the voice, the vibration of the instrument should have been slower. It was not. It was faster. The vibration in the voice in the upper octave was the slower vibration rate. I was not impressed that my mind "went" anywhere unique, but the whole body did feel relaxed and calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment